In 2017, the Center for Childhood Resilience launched a partnership with Prevent School Violence Illinois (PSVI) to facilitate a school climate and culture project with West 40 Intermediate Service Center #2 (West 40) across West 40’s growing suite of alternative education programs (TAPESTRY, Seniors Plus Credit Recovery, truancy, and regional safe schools). Using tailored professional development, cross- and intra-program team leadership development, youth engagement, and policy, the project will build a strong foundation of servant leadership among West 40 alternative education staff, who will work from a shared set of strength-based, youth-centered values so that young people in western Cook County schools thrive socially, emotionally, and academically. This is a multi-year project with annual funding.
During the 2017-2018 academic year, our work with PSVI is focusing on:
1. Strategic planning, materials development, and development of cross-positional teams within the alternative education system to help drive the project.
2. Facilitation of six full-day professional development sessions for the entire alternative education team.
3. Ongoing reflective consultation and technical assistance to West 40 leaders on implementation, change management and related topics.
4. Data collection to assess current culture and climate, as well as knowledge of foundational concepts, including social and emotional learning, trauma informed practice, restorative practices
5. Dedicated internal leadership team meetings for planning, tracking and managing project scope and deliverables.